Modular Headshop - Flywheels
Modular Head Shop - Flywheel Tech Tips
Selecting the proper flywheel can be a bit tricky if you do not know exactly what you are looking for.
Here are a few tips for fitment to better help you select the proper Flywheel for your application.
6 Bolt or 8 Bolt
- 6 Bolt or 8 Bolt refers to the bolt pattern on the Crankshaft's Flywheel Flange.
- 1996 - 1998 and 2001 - 2010 Mustang GT's came stock with 6 Bolt Crankshafts
- All 4V's 1996 - 2004 Cobra and Mach 1 came stock with 8 Bolt Crankshafts
- The 1999 - 2000 4.6L's also came with an 8 Bolt Crankshaft
- All 5.4L Engines came with an 8 Bolt Crankshaft
- All OE Forged Crankshafts are 8 Bolt
- Most aftermarket crankshafts are 8 Bolt
10.5" or 11" Clutch
- T-45 Transmissions came with a 10.5" Clutch, TR3650 and T-56 came with an 11" Clutch
- Ford changed transmissions in mid 2001 from a T-45 to a TR3650 in the Mustang GT.
- The 1999 and 2001 Cobra already had a TR3650
- 1996 - Mid 2001 came standard with a 10.5" Clutch, Mid 2001 and on is 11"
- Most aftermarket flywheels will use a dual bolt pattern to fit both 10.5" and 11" Clutch
Purchasing a new clutch and flywheel at the same time?
If you have a vehicle that originally came with a 10.5" clutch / flywheel and are looking to purchase a new clutch and flywheel at the same time, do yourself a favor and just step up to an 11" clutch setup.